Interested individuals should include a resume to email@example.com
JOB OPENING: CHOIR DIRECTOR
Music at Bethlehem Covenant church has been and continues to be a vital part of the spiritual life of this congregation. Bethlehem has had a long tradition of excellent music rooted in traditional church hymnody and sacred music. The choir is an integral piece of the traditional worship service, leading the congregation in singing and music that is reverent, festive, and beautiful.
The Choir Director is responsible to the Lead Pastor. The Choir Director is an ex-officio member of the Celebration and Spiritual Life Commission and works with and receives direction from the Lead Pastor and Pastor of Worship and Discipleship to plan and implement worship of the church. The Choir Director will receive an annual job performance review by the Lead Pastor.
CHOIR DIRECTOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Preparation, rehearsal, and direction of choral music each Sunday during the choral season (September through early June). Choral music should be appropriate for assigned liturgical season and assigned scripture texts. Submit all anthem selections to choir accompanist at least 4-5 weeks in advance of performance.
- Work with the Lead Pastor to provide music for special weeknight services corresponding with the church calendar such as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Christmas Eve, Thanksgiving and other occasions given appropriate notice.
- Exploring and purchasing new music for the choir within the margins of the annual music budget, attending choral music workshops and clinics when possible, overseeing the organization and maintenance of the church music library.
- Help maintain High Sundays of the Church Calendar (e.g., Easter, Palm Sunday, Reformation Sunday) by adding instrumental music, extra choral music, or hymn descants when possible.
- Prepare and direct a special choir concert or Choral Sunday during the choral season (September through May).
- Actively recruit new members and maintain present membership of the church choir.
- Bring issues of the choir and music in general to Lead Pastor, and Celebration and Spiritual Life Commission or Pastor of Worship and Discipleship.
- The choir director is responsible for managing the annual budget for the choir in conjunction with the Pastor of Worship and Discipleship.
- The choir director shall attend the regular meetings of the worship planning committee.
- Arrange for rehearsal and direct anthem for singing at Worship in the Park in the summer.
Choir director receives two weeks paid time off during the choir season (specifically, two Sunday mornings and two Wednesday rehearsals). The choir should still sing those Sundays with a substitute leader arranged by the choir director. The Lead Pastor and choir accompanist should be notified in advance of planned paid time off.
- Faith in Jesus Christ as Lord exemplified in a mature Christian witness and a commitment to the mission and values of Bethlehem Covenant Church
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in team-based settings.
- Prefer a bachelor’s degree in music or equivalent training and experience conducting adult choirs.
This position is 6 hours per week. Hours may be increased if additional responsibilities are added to the position. Salary commensurate with education and experience.
RESUMES SHOULD BE SENT TO